Hello! Welcome to 'Our Stories'; a collection of blog entries, letters, experiences, and more. Anyone is free to submit their work.
Although there is no approval stipulation, only work that deliberately sets out to offend or alienate will be excluded.
Click a title to read the entry.
- by Dylan Frost
- by Anonymous
Warning: Contains strong sexual language.
8 Steps of the LGBT Person
So we will be writing a piece about ourseles based upon a YouTube video by the wonderful Matt Baume https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnSFwk_mZPnUuh0m7Z6T-4g?&ab_channel=MattBaume and twitter: @mattbaume (check him out, he is exceptional) in which he discusses the famous and groundbreaking two-part 1997 episode (The Puppy Episode) of the sitcom Ellen, in which Ellen Degeneres’ (and thus the actor herself) character comes out as a lesbian.
He explains 8 steps Matt explains Ellen goes through in these two episodes that are reflective of a lot of LGBTQ+ people’s experiences in coming out. They are listed below:
8 Steps of the LGBTQ+ Person
1. Develop a rapport - this is when you get chemistry with someone of the sex/gender you are attracted to.
2. Trying to be straight - when we try and conform to the sexuality society expects to be.
3. Develop a crush - When you first fall for someone; this can be full on love, requited or not, or simply a crush that reinforces the feelings you are having
4. Came out to yourself. - accept yourself as having the sexuality you have.
5. Confide in someone you trust. - Tell someone for the first time.
6. Tell your friends/family - Tell everyone else/
7. Your first heartache. - The first time you have your heart broken, either by a lover, or maybe you fell for someone who wasn’t like you in terms of sexuality.
8. Explore the culture.
(Step 9 ... Toaster oven! Watch the episode!)
Telling our stories is a powerful thing.
If you are interested, email me your story to